Tips For Bicycling Safety In Los Angeles
At Southern California Bicycle Attorneys, we truly want to help our clients. We want to assist them through the challenges of a personal injury claim as well as guide them to resources that may help them consider how to stay safe on the road, especially with all the risks that cycling can present.
Common risks to cyclists include:
- Distracted drivers
- Aggressive drivers
- Inattentive drivers turning in front of a cyclist
- The size differential between a cyclist and a motor vehicle
- Risky road conditions such as potholes and storm grates
- Improperly marked bike lanes
- Inattentive pedestrians
Improve Your Biking Safety
Cyclists must always be defensive drivers when they are on the road. However, here are some common sense ideas on how to biking safer:
- Educate yourself on rules of the road, especially right of way and laws applicable specifically to bikes.
- Wear reflective gear or accessories so that you are easily visible to other motorists and cyclists.
- Use a bike light at all times for better visibility.
- Notify the responsible authority when you see a dangerous pothole or other unsafe condition on a bike route or road.
- Pay attention to other motorists on the road and whenever possible, avoid motorists who are distracted or aggressive.
- Watch for people in parked cars when you are passing closely and try to avoid getting too close.
- Do not wear headphones or use a phone while biking.
- Stay out of motorists’ blind spots.
If you do find yourself in a bike crash and you believe that someone was at fault, it is worth getting some counsel on addressing your injuries and loss.
Call Our Office For More Information About Bicycle Advocacy
Our founding lawyer, Max Draitser, is part of the local cycling community. He truly wants to help cyclists avoid accidents and improve biking safety and acceptance.
If you have a question about bicycle advocacy, call our office in Los Angeles toll free at , locally at 310-357-3645 or send us an email.